Baidoa Electric Company (BEC) is the largest electricity provider in Baidoa, Somalia. The company was formed in 2012 by the merger of five smaller electricity companies who each supplied electricity to a different neighborhood in Baidoa. Now, Baidoa Electric Company has around 13,000 total customers spread across seven neighborhoods, and supplies power to both household consumers and businesses.
Baidoa Electric Company’s largest expense is diesel, which was previously used to power 100% of the grid. A loan from the Nordic Horn of Africa Opportunities fund is helping BEC toward their goal of reducing their diesel use to 25% of the overall grid, while solar power generates the remaining 75%. BEC hopes to reach this goal within the next ten years.
BAIDOA ELECTRIC COMPANY HIGLIGHTS
|Project Sector:||Renewable Energy|