Position Title: Field Manager, Puntland and South Central Somalia - Shuraako
Reports To: Director of Shuraako
Date: March 25, 2014
OEF is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization with a vision of developing effective systems of global governance to achieve a world beyond war, leading to our tagline “Peace Through Governance.” Central to OEF’s mission is partnering closely with the business community. As an operating foundation, OEF focuses on both researching and developing ideas, and implementing those ideas in practical projects and programs. On the research side, OEF has a mandate to develop expertise in global governance and its relationship to armed conflict, with the goal of contributing both to academic understanding and practical implementations designed to reduce conflict.
Shuraako’s objective is to identify businesses and other initiatives that create jobs in Somalia. That information is compiled on an international website (www.shuraako.org), which was launched in September 2012. The Shuraako program is about connections: We act as a neutral broker to help connect you to potential partners, businesses, markets, suppliers, technical assistance, and other investors and donors working in Somalia.
The Shuraako program is seeking to hire an area Field Manager located in Puntland or South Central Somalia, and responsible for that area. The Field Manager is the professional point of contact for field related Shuraako activity.
The Shuraako program is seeking to hire an area Field Manager located in Puntland and South Central Somalia, and responsible for that area. The Field Manager is the professional point of contact for field related Shuraako activity. He/she will conduct research and compile information on existing businesses in the region, businesses’ requirements for investment and technical assistance, and locate and map local businesses based on the Shuraako program criteria. Field Manager is the primary gatherer of concept notes and business plans and initiates the loan process. The Field Manager is the primary relationship builder with allied organizations (i.e. Chambers of Commerce, trade associations, cooperatives, relevant Ministries, etc.). The Field Manager will be responsible for regularly updating the Shuraako team on all relevant business developments in and around the focus regions.
- Identify investment opportunities within existing businesses and/or potential businesses. Prioritize according to feasibility, scalability, job creation, and sustainability.
- Cultivate relevant concept notes and business plans for identified businesses. Assist entrepreneur with completion and submission of the plans.
- Function as the “on the ground” resource and voice for Shuraako program in and around focus regions.
- Identify local business needs such as technical assistance, access to markets, networks, credit, business knowledge, business mentoring, etc.
- Promote the Shuraako program by building relationships with the business community, business associations, civil society, and government. (i.e. “Chamber of Commerce”)
- Assist investment opportunities with standardized investment applications, preparing in-depth reviews of relevant financial information and documentation.
- Assist Shuraako team to provide post-funding/post investment technical assistance to partners.
- Regularly update Shuraako team about business investment opportunities progress and challenges.
- Travel in and around focus regional area, cities, and villages to conduct site visits to investment opportunities.
- Collect data and information related to private sector development and job creation in and around focus region.
- Complete weekly field reports and submit to the Shuraako Project Associate and Director by email.
- Participate in weekly meetings with the Shuraako team by phone.
- Perform other related activities as required in order to ensure Shuraako program success.
- Assist with monitoring Shuraako-supported projects
- Comply with Shuraako project regulations and commitment to One Earth Future’s Vision (www.oneearthfuture.org) and Shuraako’s Goals (www.shuraako.org).
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Must be a current or past resident of at least 5 to 10 years in and around the focus region.
- Must be able to travel in and out of Somalia, as well as to North America and Europe
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Economics, or other related field.
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience, including in the areas of business development and/or sales. An entrepreneurial-minded individual a must!
- Demonstrated networking and outreach skills within different sectors (business, government, and civil society).
- An extensive network of relationships within the business community in and around Puntland and South Central Somalia (ideally business, government and civil society) strongly preferred.
- Fluency in Somali and English is required; Skills in another language, a plus.
- Computer skills – experience and knowledge of computer operations, knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
This position is located in Puntland and South Central Somalia.
Please send resume and a cover letter detailing your experience and salary requirements to Kelly Backens at email@example.com. Please reference the job title, “Shuraako Field Manager,” in the subject line of your email.